It is now mandatory to ask people's consent to send emails to them. This is called the opt-in.
How to do opt-in with Automation ?
- Start by creating a select-multiple custom field.
- Then create a new form (or edit an existing one).
- Create form fields and add a checkbox group field.
- Fill the label that is mandatory but check NO to not display it. The objective is to only have a checkbox that ask for their consent. If contacs check the box, that means they agree to receive emails, so they will be opt-in contacts.
- Map this field with the custom field previously created.
- Go the "Properties" tab.
- Do not check "YES" otherwise values that have been set for this custom field will be displayed. That means YES or NO. But this is not what we want.
- Click on add a value.
- In the label, write the opt-in sentence. For example: I would like to receive your newsletter.
- In the value, write "1". Because on the custom field previously created, the value for YES is 1.
- Save the form.
Below the preview of the form:
When contacts will check the box to agree to receive emails, the custom field will be updated as YES.
If contact do not check the box, the custom field won't be updated so it will still be empty. That means they won't have give their consent.
Then to identify opt-in contact, you need to create a segment and add a filter using the opt-in custom field.
All opt-in contacts will be uploaded into this segment.