A dynamic content can be used when you want to send an email with customized content according to the contact fields values.
There are two ways to create dynamic content in Webmecanik Automation :
- For "code mode" emails, a tab will appear after you switch to code mode.
- If you are using a theme, dynamic content is available for each text, image, or button slot.
How to create dynamic content in a "code mode" email ?
Example with contacts living in different cities.
- Create a new email (or edit an existing one)
- Click on "Dynamic Content" tab
- In this tab you will create the dynamic content.
There's already a Dynamic Content 1.
Default tab allow to create a default content if there are no values in the custom field or if the value is different of the variation that will be created.
In our example, a contact lives in Annecy, another one in Lyon and the last one has no value in the custom field "City".
- In default tab, create the content for contacts that have no values or differents one than the variations.
- Then create the variations.
- Add a filter on the custom field "City" and create the content.
- Add the second variation by clicking on "New"
You know need to insert your dynamic content in your email :
- Open the builder
- Place your cursor where you want to insert your dynamic content
- Use the command ctrl+space to bring up the token list
- Seek and select your dynamic content token :
- The token in inserted and you dynamic content will be displayed when you send your email
Finish to create your email, save, quit and send.
How to create dynamic content in an email with a theme?
If you create your email from a theme, you directly configure the dynamic content from each content slot.
In the example below, let's see how to set up dynamic content directly from the email generator, in a Text type slot according to the city of the contacts.
- Create the email with the default contents.
- Click on the content block that you want to make dynamic. In our example, we select a Text type block.
- From the left sidebar, in the Styles tab, scroll down to the Dynamic Content section. The Default option is selected, which indicates that the current content is the one displayed by default if no conditions are met.
- To customize the content of this block if the value of the city of contacts is entered, click the Add dynamic content button.
A modal is displayed, fill in the following fields:
- Variant Name: this field is required, you must assign a name to this dynamic content in relation to the condition you are going to set up. In our example, Annecy is the name of this variable because the condition concerns all contacts with a city equal to Annecy.
- Variant Condition: In this area you must define a rule for your dynamic content.
It is possible to add one or more rule(s) by clicking on the +Rule button. You can also add one or more rule group(s) by clicking on +Group.
A rule can be applied on a contact or company field. In our example, we have chosen the contact field City equal Annecy.
Once the condition is correctly configured, click the Save button.
When you return to the edit page, you see that the new condition is selected and the text block, empty of content, is ready to be personalized.
If you want to view the block's default content, all you have to do is click on Default in the Dynamic Content section to display it.
When the changes are complete, save the email and close it.
- To display dynamic content, the rules in a group must all be validated.
- If the condition has multiple groups, dynamic content is displayed only if one of the groups is validated.
Testing dynamic content in real-life conditions
If you'd like to test your dynamic content in real-life conditions. Simply search for your contact's name in the search bar below the preview.
Once the contact has been selected, the preview URL will change to match the contact ID. You'll then be able to see the exact email, with dynamic content, that your contact will receive.